We are fast approaching that time of year where body shape, relationships and the joys or dread of the holiday season may be foremost in your mind.
As we head closer to summer, for some of you, the fear of “exposing” what your winter clothes have so wonderfully hidden may bring added stress. Read on to discover how to take the pressure off..
The reason that diets don’t work.
Diets do not work because they are based on fear, denial, self-loathing and feelings of shame. Many of you will be familiar with the voice in your head that keeps reminding you that you are not good enough or acceptable, and that you will never measure up. A diet does not enable you to trust yourself and instead controls, monitors, measures and restricts you. This can inflict harm on your mental, emotional and physical well-being.
Instead of going on another diet, focus on who you really want to be. If you want to be a contented, happy, loving and motivated person find a new way of getting there.
How does your food shape you?
Our relationship with food is one of the key ways that we shape ourselves.
A study done on two groups of people, both of whom ate a delectable three course meal revealed that:
- One group ate with relish, savouring every morsel and enjoying the meal with lots of laughter and fun. This group not only had the best experience, but the effect of the food on their bodies had the least effect.
- The other group made comments you may be all too familiar with, “a moment on the lips....”, “I will regret this tomorrow”, “I will have to starve myself tomorrow”. This group experienced all sorts of chemical changes that triggered the fight or flight system; in turn slowing or stopping digestion, raising heart rate and blood pressure. Also initiating the brutal self bullying that causes so much damage on a cellular level.
Why you turn to food.
- You turn to food because you believe on a deep subconscious level it is the best you can do and that food is saving your life.
- You believe (on a subconscious level) that you have no other choice, or that it is the kindest thing you can do, given the choices that you have.
- You believe (on a subconscious level) that food will satisfy something that is missing from your life.
- The flavours or foods you are craving are identifying an imbalance at a physical, emotional, mental, cellular, chemical or hormonal level.
Let me help you address your pain - It is part of life.?
Everybody feels pain in varying degrees; be that emotional, physical or mental.
Every second there are immense changes going on inside of you and as life throws you challenges you need to adapt, change course, change beliefs or change attitudes. If you don’t do this in your outer world, your inner world will change less. It will become stagnant and stuck, which in turn leads to health issues, with pain playing a part as a major symptom.
Pain may be the reason you turn to food, but food will not take your pain away. It may dull it for a short time, but it will not be long before your guilt, shame, blame, judgment and self criticism come flooding back to renew the cycle of trying to delete the pain again.
I have discovered ways of addressing the pain in my life so that it is no longer an issue, when a painful moment arrives, then I have the tools to address it. Let me share these tools with you during a consultation.
Find the courage to work through your pain with the support & compassion I can offer.
Remember, you are worthy of love, life-giving nourishment, support, encouragement and praise. I know you would encourage your friends to find the courage to honour themselves and be their cheerleader as they took the steps to a life they wanted. So do this for yourself and be who you REALLY want to be.